Why Do You Need Invigilation Software for Your LMS?
Learning management systems foster effective digitized online learning experiences in a collaborative manner. Located in one centralized place, students receive broad possibilities to learn and have all their assignments at their fingertips. Regardless of their broad functionalities, learning management systems have some limitations relating to exam testing and robust assessment security. Educational institutions are often looking for solutions to have secure computer-based testing integrated with their learning management systems or virtual learning environment. So the question is: Why can’t such LMSs as Moodle or Canvas operate as learning platforms together with invigilation capabilities? The answer is the following: each platform or system has its own primary goal. For example, most LMS’s weren’t designed with the purpose of exam administration; even if it includes a feature of online assessment, it is likely to be limited and not so robust as a specialized full-fledged online proctoring software.
The IRIS invigilation system was explicitly designed to ensure secure online assessment and integrity of exams. With the IRIS system, education institutions and learning centers are empowered to easily and seamlessly conduct exams without worrying about integration since it is compatible with most LMSs. To understand the difference between academic integrity tools and LMSs, let’s deep dive into their specifics.
What is an LMS?
An LMS is a learning management system purposed to enhance learning processes, allowing online training, communication between learners and educators, distributing and managing content delivery. What are the advantages of LMS?
* By delivering personalized experiences for students, educators manage to make greater students’ engagement in learning processes.
* Students can keep learning 24/7, being located comfortably at their homes.
* The flexibility of learning materials encourages students to share collaboration.
* Cost-effectiveness due to less travel.
* Teachers can track results via reports and analytics.
* Enhanced by AI, students and educators get better teaching opportunities.
So Why Do You Need Remote Proctoring or Invigilation Platforms?
Different platforms have different purposes and each has their strengths and weaknesses. While a learning management systems’ aim is to create effective online teaching, online proctoring platforms ensure the integrity of exam assessments. So let’s consider the benefits of LMS integration with the IRIS online invigilation system.
1. Enhanced exam security. In contrast to LMS assessment features, AI algorithms used in the invigilation system (face recognition, audio, eye movement recognition, object/face detection) help automatically identify dishonesty during students’ exams. Therefore, with the additional set of identifiers, all the data is captured accurately, recorded, and uploaded to the IRIS invigilation system.
2. All data is consolidated and centralized. Integrated with most LMSs, the IRIS system allows you to keep everything captured in one central place so that educators can review the recordings on their institute’s IRIS dashboard and further analyze and review possible misconducts post assessment.
3. Seamless and intuitive process. The IRIS invigilation software is designed to provide an intuitive and easy experience to both students and invigilators enabling them to create an open, data-driven educational ecosystem. All you need is a good internet connection and a Windows or Mac desktop or laptop with a camera, microphone, and speakers connected. To ensure the assessment process goes smoothly and successfully, we recommend the following practices for students:
* A computer must have a functioning microphone, webcam, recording of sound, and video must be enabled and not obstructed at any time.
* If a student uses the correct browser with the IRIS plugin enabled, the software will start and stop automatically when taking your test within your LMS.
* A student shouldn’t close the IRIS pop-up window, as this will interfere with the invigilation process.
* A student also needs to check the conditions required: a well-lit room with no music playing.
* Hats/hoods, headphones, and earbuds will be considered additional objects, so students have to remove them.
* With face recognition capabilities, other people in the room will be automatically detected, and the assessment will be flagged as suspicious.
* There should be nothing on the desk or table, except for the computer and the authorized materials.
* A student is not allowed to leave the room during the test.
The Bottom Line
The IRIS invigilation system ensures seamless data sharing and is built on open interoperability standards allowing educational institutions to integrate it with any LMSs such as Canvas, Moodle or Blackboard, etc. LMSs are explicitly designed to evaluate students’ performance and move forward in their learning process. Integrated with LMSs, online proctoring tools can optimize every part of learning, testing, analysis, and overall learning practice. If you have any questions in terms of remote invigilation set up, please contact our IRIS team. We are happy to support you!